Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A Sunday Spent in Vicksburg

On May 15th, we played hookie from church (don't judge!!) and opted for some family time in Vicksburg with my parents, sister, and Granny!! We had a McDonald's picnic and then went through the military park. I wasn't very far along in my pregnancy and I was so sick, but I really wanted to go so Scotty really took care of me. We're kinda history buffs so we love this kinda stuff and I think we all had a great time!!

Having a picnic!!


Daddy's teaching Tanner about the loud cannons. He could've spent all day right here pretending to shoot the cannons!!

I love this picture of my mom and Tanner playing a game of tag!!

We grew up going to Vicksburg when I was little. We'd always go through the park and my parents would just let us run and play and I used to walk on these same bricks when I was Tanner's age!!

Tanner, Sister and Granny on the cannon!!

The Illinois Memorial has always been my favorite!!



Not sure what monument this is, but we sure had fun climbing all over it!! I know you're not supposed to do that, but I guess we're just a bunch of renegades!!




About to go through and underground Civil War tunnel!!


Towards the end of the park, you can tour the USS Cairo. This was a Civil War ironclad that was constructed for the Union Navy. On December 12, 1862, the Cairo was struck by a torpedo while clearing mines out of the Yazoo River and sunk in 12 minutes. Thanks to our Yazoo clay, the Cairo was preserved and efforts to begin raising the ironclad began in 1956, but the process was not completed until the 1970's. There were many artifacts recovered from the ship, but some of the ones we thought were most interesting were all the medical supplies. Sooo neat!!



Nothin' like family time & a history lesson!! We had so much fun with my family. We ended up heading back a little early because I was so nauseated, but it was still a great day!!

No comments: