Monday, January 28, 2008

First Doctor's Visit

Wow!! Can i just tell you how much I hate going to the doctor? I hate even going when I have a soar throat so just imagine my anxiety about something like this!! Just take a minute and think of what you hate the most in your life. What would be you're own personal hell? Ok, however much you hate what you just thought of I'm that times 150 about going to the doctor!! I absolutely hate it!! Everybody always says, but you're married to a doctor!! My response: He does his thing, I do mine. I don't hear about the gross stuff and I'm not the one in the waiting room!! Well sister that was NOT the case today!!! I was most definitely in the waiting room, let me tell you!! Let's just say if Scotty had not been there with me, I probably would'be had to be air lifted by helicopter to get back to my house!!! I was a wreck!! I can't explain to you or pinpoint one thing that gives me such anxiety - I just simply HATE going to the doctor!!! So we get there and we're filling out the paper work and my hand is shaking so much that it looks like I scribbled by name everywhere!! Then we had to go talk to a financial person. Scotty handled all that. I didn't even listen, but apparently we have really good insurance!! After that I peed in a cup - enough said. Then came my nightmare. They had to take blood. There were a couple of people that had to go before me and man was I breathing hard!! I was so nervous and then right before it was my turn I started crying!! I did NOT wanna go in there!! Scotty was rubbing my back and saying everything was gonna be ok, one of the nurses went and got me a stress ball, and the other women in the waiting area were all trying to reassure me. I finally got myself together (or so I thought). We went in and Scotty told the nurse I was terrified and she was so sweet to me. I made it through the needle without crying, so we got my hot pink bandaid and moved on. Our next stop was the nurse's office where they collect the family history. I had been so strong through taking the blood and then my nerves finally caught up with me and I lost it in her office!! I couldn't stop crying and again she was so sweet and patient and reassuring. I felt so stupid, but she said there was no need to. I finally got my composure and finished the history. When we finally got to see the doctor he was also reassuring and said that I had done an excellent job so far. We didn't have a sonogram scheduled, but before we left he got out a doppler to see if we could hear the baby's heatbeat. He said it was uncommon to hear it right now since I was only 10 weeks and not to be discouraged if we didn't. But we did!!! It was a very strong heart beat and the doctor says we have a little show off!! Imagine that coming from a Davis!! We left there and headed to get so french fries from McDonald's!! I needed that after such a traumatic afternoon!! But we made it through and I'm well on my way to a great emotional recovery!! Just keep us in your prayers and we'll keep you updated!!

2 comments:

Angie said...

You survived your first visit! The baby is already being a show off? Where does he get that dramatic flair?! (I said "he" just to make Scott happy, even though we all know it's really a "she" to play with Emily!)

K said...

Valerie, Angie just told me that you have a blog. I saw the picture of you and Angie pregnant and laughed hysterically! I'm so glad that Emily will have a playmate. Of course, I'd love to babysit Emily and your baby so that the four of you can go out for some adult time together. You know that I have a playroom, baby bed, changing table, glider and lots of other baby necessities. I'm so glad that I know about your blog so I can stay updated on your pregnancy. Love, Mrs. Kathy